About This Campground
Sycamore Grove Campground sits along the banks of the sparkling Sacramento River at a 300-foot elevation, within the 488-acre Red Bluff Recreation Area. The area is an isolated parcel of the Mendocino National Forest in Northern California, in Red Bluff, CA. Visitors to the campground enjoy shady oak and sycamore trees and grassy fields within a beautiful riparian environment.
Visitors can enjoy the 4-mile paved nature trail, which winds through flowering grasslands, wetlands and oak woodlands, providing access to an abundance of plants and wildlife, as well as incredible views of Mount Shasta, Mount Lassen and the Yolla Bolly Mountains. The nearby river provides visitors with access to a variety of water-related recreation opportunities, including fishing, boating, water skiing, jet skiing, swimming and canoeing. A variety of fish can be seen in the river, including Chinook, Steelhead, and Striped Bass.
The campground offers more than two dozen, single-family and double campsites, available for tent and RV camping. Campsites are equipped with tables and campfire rings with grills. Accessible flush and vault toilets, as well as showers and drinking water, are provided. The showers are coin-operated and a code for the combination lock to the bathhouse can be obtained from the on-site campground host.
Sycamore Grove is a beautiful campground that is open year-round. Campsites and open areas throughout the campground are covered in lush, green grass, with shade trees towering overhead. The campground provides access to a variety of hiking and biking trails, as well as the scenic Sacramento River, which is open to all types of water sports.
Sycamore Grove Campground is located in the middle of the Northern Sacramento Valley. It is two miles from the city of Red Bluff, 25 miles from Rolling Hills Casino, 34 Miles from Redding California, 40 miles from Lake Shasta, and 60 miles from Lassen Volcanic National Park.
We got up early to catch the Summer sunrise at Sycamore Grove Campground. It was a perfectly serene morning with interesting sounding birds chirping vigorously. Bats whipped around the crisp dawn air, hunting down their buggy breakfast.
Alan formally dedicates this episode to Richard Henderson. Enjoy the campfire while Alan tells the story behind this trip to Anchor Bay Campground.
Gold was discovered here by Francis Anderson on September 14, 1849. Anderson had joined Phil A. Haven that same year along the North Yuba River. Downieville was founded in late 1849 during the California Gold Rush, in the Northern Mines area. It was first known as "The Forks" for its geographical location at the confluence of the Downie River and North Fork of the Yuba River. It was soon renamed after Major William Downie (1820-1893), the town's founder.
Downie was a Scotsman who had led an expedition of nine miners, seven of them African American men, up the North Fork of the Yuba River in the Autumn of 1849. At the present site of the town they struck rich gold, built a log cabin, and settled in to wait out the winter. By 1850, Downieville had 15 hotels, 4 bakeries, 4 butcher shops, and numerous saloons. Josefa Segovia, a young Californio resident of the town, was lynched by a mob on July 5, 1851. The lynch mob held a mock trial, and accused her of killing an American miner. The mock trial quickly led to hanging her from the Jersey Bridge in town. Segovia was the first and only hanging of a woman in the history of California.
In 1853 Downieville was vying to become the new state capital of California, along with fifteen other California communities to replace Vallejo. The capital was moved to Benicia for a year, and then in 1854 to Sacramento. The Northern Mines area of the gold rush had a number of mining camps with colorful names, such as Brandy City (originally known as Strychnine City), Whiskey Diggins, Poverty Hill, Poker Flat, and Camptonville.
Many of these camps disappeared after the gold rush or became ghost towns. Downieville had reached a peak population of over 5,000 people in 1851, but by 1865 had significantly declined. It survived due to its status as the county seat of government in Sierra County, and from its geographic location between Sacramento Valley and Tahoe region/Nevada destinations.